2017 is here and if you’re like me you’re probably carrying around some extra holiday bloat. My family’s heavy appetizers always get the better of me! This blog is part two of my two part Detox blog series.
Part 2: (this blog) The Why, How & What of Detoxing, and your 3 simple steps to detox
Well no worries, you can easily and safely drop all that excess bloat in the next 7 days, as well as give your body a much-needed oil change. The concept of detoxing is all around us and most detoxes do provide quick results, but the problem is after detoxing you end up going right back to what you were doing, never truly evolving your plan into a way of life. Detoxes that starve you by fasting or load you up on juice will always end up failing the moment they’re over.
Imagine detoxing while eating consistently throughout the day, losing all the bloat and then immediately shifting your body into a fat-burning machine. That is the type of detox we can all get behind and is exactly why I’m writing this blog and why I created my coaching programs. Every plan you take on must be with your eyes wide open, so let’s dive in with your 3 must-knows when detoxing.
1) The Importance of Detoxing
In a nutshell, detoxes are designed to deliver maximum results and kick start your weight loss. You see, most of us are living at an inflated weight, a weight that is made up of at least five to ten pounds of additional bloat (water retention). Think back to a time when you ate better, drank more water, and engaged in some exercise . . . most likely you dropped a few pounds really quickly. That quick weight loss is part of the excess bloat your body holds from living a busy and hectic life. Lack of sleep, daily stress, processed foods, and not drinking enough water are all contributors to holding that extra bloat.
Detoxes and cleanses are so popular because of the inflated weight most of us have. The challenge with most detoxes and cleanses is that they’re designed as a diet and short-term fix to a long-term problem. Losing your inflated weight isn’t your challenge; I’m assuming you’ve lost that first ten pounds many times in your dieting history. Most people have. The real challenge is how to detox and cleanse effectively while evolving into a plan you can actually make a way of life. Without that evolution, all the weight you lose will just come back a month or two after the detox.
2) The Benefits of Detoxing
Detoxing is truly all about cleaning out your system. Imagine getting an oil change for your car but only adding new oil and still using your old, dirty, and used-up oil filter. As fresh and high quality as that new oil is, it will still be processed through that old filter. This means your car’s engine is still getting a lot of grime and grit from the old filter and losing the benefit of the new oil so it won’t run as well as it could be. This concept parallels perfectly with your body. Eating cleaner without detoxing is just like getting an oil change without changing your body’s filter. It only solves part of the problem, so to maximize the cleaner foods you’re eating, you also need to clean up your body’s filters by removing all the gunk, which will get your metabolism running like a well-oiled machine!
As you detox, you’ll also be losing excess bloat. Bloating slows down the speed of your metabolism, inflates your weight, and makes your clothes feel a size too small. The average weight loss during the Detox phase (week 1) is 7-10 lbs. and is based on 3 simple steps – Cut, Clean, Flush.
3) Your 3 Easy-To-Follow Steps of Detoxing
You just cut the foods that bloat you, add clean foods and supplements to cleanse, and flush the toxins with good old H2O (water).
Here’s are the 3 steps to get you started:
1. CUT – CUT the foods and drinks that cause bloating. Below is a list of foods and drinks that cause water retention:
- Gluten (found in most bread products)
- Cheese & Yogurt
- Refined Sugar
- Sugar Sweeteners (besides stevia)
- Soda Pop (diet & regular)
2. CLEAN – Add the CLEAN foods & supplements to cleanse your body. Here is a sample day’s meal plan:
- Breakfast: Protein + Carb + Fat (Ex: Egg Whites + Berries + Almonds), in the proper amounts based on your gender, goals and activity level.
- Mid-Morning: Protein Shake (a quality protein shake with proper ratio of Protein/Fat/Carb)
- Lunch: Protein + Carb + Fat (Ex: Chicken Breast + Green Beans + Avocado), in the proper amounts based on your gender, goals and activity level.
- Mid-Afternoon: Protein Shake (with Cleansing Supplement)
- Dinner: Protein + Carb + Fat (Ex: Grilled Halibut + Asparagus +_ Olive Oil + Medium Bowl of Spinach or Lettuce), in the proper amounts based on your gender, goals and activity level.
3. FLUSH – FLUSH the toxins from your system with water.
- Females: 2 – 4 Liters per Day, or 8-16 glasses (8 oz. each)
- Males: 3-5 Liters per Day, or 12-20 glasses (8 oz. each)
Drink water with each meal and between each meal.
And there you have it – The Why, How & What of Detoxing. If you’re ready to give your body an oil change and rev up your metabolism, contact us for a FREE strategy session. We can’t wait to help you reach your goals!
Be sure to subscribe to our website for your FREE DOWNLOAD containing a grocery list for a week’s worth of healthy meals.
Have a great day!